On July 2nd, 2016, four Diatom representatives attended a workshop “Dockerization” featuring Docker – an open platform for developers. The workshop was organized by GDG Riga and it was attended by about 25 developers with different level of expertise from various Latvian companies.
Our developers are in the process of performing tasks
The workshop was opened by a presentation by GDG Riga representative Sergey Kibish, explaining main Docker features and best practices. After that, the participants were split into teams of 4-5 people and started practising: making an application up and running. The participants were asked to do various tasks: write Dockerfiles, work with Docker Registry, configure Docker Compose, and many others.
Working atmosphere at the workshop
Docker is quite a new topic for our company, therefore there were quite a few discoveries for us in the “world of Docker”. Perhaps, these could be useful to the ones that have just started exploring Docker:
- Docker is a great modern automation tool for putting various deployment and configuring processes into action;
- Docker container is a “magic” implementation of the box storing the whole environment itself;
- Docker files are similar to shell scripts;
- Docker is cross-platform;
- Docker has repositories and in some cases behaves like Git (pull/push).
Some part of work
Do you have big experience in Docker? We would like to hear your opinion about it!
Looking forward to future Docker-related events.